Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Urgent! NLS_LANG - How do I find out what's the setting without the environment variable?
Urgent! NLS_LANG - How do I find out what's the setting without the environment variable? [message #54388] Thu, 14 November 2002 14:22 Go to next message
JOHN
Hi
I need to find out the NLS_LANG setting for the versions (7.3.4, 8.1.7) of ORACLE we are running. This environment variable is not set. How do I now what NLS_LANG set Oracle uses? I need this exact parameter value to setup another installation.

Thanks
Re: Urgent! NLS_LANG - How do I find out what's the setting without the environment variable? [message #54389 is a reply to message #54388] Thu, 14 November 2002 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trifon Anguelov
If it's not set in that would be US7ASCII for UNIX and WE8ISO8859P1 for Windows.

If you want to see the database NLS settings then use :

SELECT * FROM V$NLS_PARAMETERS;

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Re: Urgent! NLS_LANG - How do I find out what's the setting without the environment variable? [message #54395 is a reply to message #54388] Thu, 14 November 2002 19:45 Go to previous message
Gilson
HI.

NLS_LANG is made up by three parameters
NLS_LANG = NLS_LANGUAGE_NLS_TERRITORY.character_set

In sql*plus connected as a DBA user type
show parameter nls

this sentence wil give you various parameters and their values find NLS_LANGUAGE (AMERICAN) and NLS_TERRITORY (AMERICA)
after that you can execute this

alter database backup controlfile to trace;

this will give you an script to recreate your controlfile and the information of the database character set

you can find the created file at your udump directory
at the end of this file you will find something like this
CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1

WE8ISO8859P1 this is your database character set

finally your NLS_LANG will look like this

NLS_LANG = AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1

Hope this helps you

Gilson
OCP- DBA
Previous Topic: Red Hat and Oracle - versions to combine? clustering, etc.
Next Topic: download free ocp dumps,papers,ocp kits...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 06:42:27 CDT 2024