Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle 9i R2 memory configuration
Oracle 9i R2 memory configuration [message #53468] Mon, 23 September 2002 08:56 Go to next message
Rick Root
When i initially created my database using the DBCA, i chose for oracle to use 50% of the memory of the machine.

I have since decided that this MAY not have been a good idea, as we'd like to run several other database instances on this machine. Most of these database are going to be very light usage (perhaps 500 transactions per day).

How do I know what my memory configuration should be, and how should I go about changing it?

Thanks.

Rick Root
Re: Oracle 9i R2 memory configuration [message #53487 is a reply to message #53468] Mon, 23 September 2002 14:22 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
You can go ahead and start the DBCA, choose to create small custom db, and then just save the creation scripts in some directory. The init.ora file would be created as well. Then delete the ...adminnew_sid directory as soon as you get the init.ora file.

The memory parameters would be the Oracle recomended one, so trust them.

The another way would be to do it yourself, and see how your db will perform after every SGA size change. Start with 100Mb database buffer cache (db_block_size * db_cache_size), disable java_pool_size=20M (if not using JVM), shared_pool_size=35M (it is fine).

To change the SGA size change in the above parameters and restarting of the db would do it.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: Duplicate Unique Key
Next Topic: catexp.sql
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:27:45 CDT 2024