Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Oracle 7 to Oracle 8
Oracle 7 to Oracle 8 [message #52749] Sat, 10 August 2002 23:20 Go to next message
Choudhry Farhan Ali
I have my applications running on Oracle7 developed in Developer 2000 running on windows 98. I am running Windows XP Professional Now and I want to port my Oracle 7 application to Oracle 8 or 9. What things should I be worried about? Is it going to work?
Re: Oracle 7 to Oracle 8 [message #53604 is a reply to message #52749] Tue, 01 October 2002 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Muhammad Imran Paracha
yeh to mujhe nahin pata bhai.. magar yahan aaloo ke parathay aur halwa puri bohat yaad aati hai
Re: Oracle 7 to Oracle 8 on winXP (Solution) [message #53608 is a reply to message #52749] Tue, 01 October 2002 11:40 Go to previous message
Choudhry Farhan Ali
All around the internet almost everywhere in discussion groups, everyone told me, Oracle 7.3 and Oracle 8 cannot be run on Windows XP. Some people are running Oracle 8 but everyone recommends to move on to Oracle 9. I had to do it or incur or get overburdened with upgrading applications from Oracle 7.3 to Oracle 8 and eventually to Oracle 9. Not an easy task and not everyone wants to migrate and willing to pay the cost. To get some breathing space I tried installing Oracle 7.3 by running its intallation executable in compatible mode (To run older applications from Windows95/98/Me, you can right click on the executable, click on Properties and then in the Compatibility tab, enable Compatibility Mode and specify which OS under 'Run this program in compatibility mode for', this approach might work for your compiled application executables), it didn't work. Then I installed Windows 98 and then installed Oracle 7.3 on it with no drivers and specially no Symantec/Norton applications, Windows XP is very allergic to Symantec/Norton applications. Then I installed Windows XP Professional and chose to upgrade over Windows 98. Everything started working, Oracle 7.3 database, Developer 2000, I didn't even had to recompile the applications, it all worked just like it used to work on Windows 98. So, I program happily ever since :)
Previous Topic: Oracle 8 installation on win2000pro
Next Topic: limit idle_time
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 03:57:00 CDT 2024